GPS technology gives 10 figure grid references and lattitude/longitude generated automatically. Accuracy is show on the Add Sight Screen.
You can record anything from birds to bats and bumblebees to beavers. Just take a photo and add the details of where the sighting took place.
Keep a log of all your sightings either in your phone or in your inbox.
Share with others
Email all the details to either yourself or anyone else you would like to share them with.
How to use the app
Open the app. The Splash Screen will show on the first loading
Enter your name and email address. This is referred to when sending an email.
Using the app
Make sure you are in a good GPS location outdoors and watch for the small arrow at the top right of the screen
- Press the Add Sight button on the toolbar.
- Enter your species name for your sighting
- Enter the quantity seen
- Enter some notes as necessary.
- If you need to take a photo or use one from your library press the Take Photo button
- Swipe up and find the Save or Clear buttons
From here you can view a record, email it or delete it
- To view a record press on it. You can then open Google Maps and show it's location by pressing the View Location button
- To email a record enter a tick in the box next to the record and press the email button. All photos and data will be sent in the one email. Photos are compressed to save bandwidth.
- To delete simply swipe across a record
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.What can I record with the app?A.
You can record anything from birds to bats and bumblebees to beavers. You can take a photo and the app will automatically generate the grid reference for later use.
Q.What accuracy will the GPS generate?A.
Usually you can get to a 10m resolution and sometimes 5m resolution. An accuracy figure is displayed on the Add Sight screen
Q.How to improve accuracy of GPS?A.
It is best to be in an open area where trees and buildings do not obscure the sate little signals.
Q.Why is the species list a free text box rather than a list?A.
The British species list is very big and searching through a list would take a long time. Free text means you can enter data quickly and can use shortcuts for speed when recording in the field, eg use ST for Small Tortoiseshell
Q.Who do I send my record to?A.
In the first instance sending records to yourself would enable further processing of the data. Photos and data can be sent direct to county recorders or recording schemes when their addresses are known.
Q.Can I send the records to more than one place?A.
Yes, you can send your records to as many email addresses as you like
Q.Why are there adverts?A.
This is the revenue stream for the app.
Very simple and effective app– Kilmacolm recorder